Friday, January 4, 2013

Baby Flobee's Birth Story, part 2

Part 1 of this saga can be found here. 

After getting into my designer gown and getting into the hospital bed, it was time for the Cervadil insert. What is Cervadil?

From the Cervadil website: Cervidil® vaginal insert (dinoprostone, 10 mg) is approved to start and/or continue the ripening of the cervix in pregnant women who are at or near the time of delivery and in whom there is a medical reason for inducing, or bringing on, labor.
Once inserted (it is like a sandpapery tampon with small spikes), you have to stay in bed for two hours. Cervadil can remain for 12 hours, some people work on one cycle and some need two. Imagine, 24 hours with nothing happening? That didn't happen to me.

At 1 a.m., they started an IV drip with fluids and my blood sugar was 100. I was monitoring my own sugar, although the staff did take their own readings here and there. No insluin was given through the IV, I was still doing all of that on my own.

At 1:45 a.m. my Cervadil was inserted after a cervical check. If you have never had one of those ... brace yourself. If you never though it was possible for a hand to go into your vaj and come out your ears, ask for a cervical check. I was 2 centimeters dilated, 70 percent effaced and -2 station. And that was the official start of labor.

During this time, I started having some stomach cramps. The same cramps I had for a week or two prior. Usually in the morning, when the cramps came, I would use the restroom and go about my day. Stomach cramps = a poop. I didn't think anything of it until I told her nurse I felt like I had to poop. And they showed me the contractions on the monitor! Who knew!?! I heard contractions were so awful and that you know when you are having them. To me, they felt like that stomach pain when you have food poisoning and then you go to the bathroom. Uncomfortable, but not awful.

The contractions were getting stronger and I couldn't tell them apart. To me, they felt like one long, constant contraction. The lights in the room were dimmed and we were told to rest. The hubs brought a lawn chair cushion (see related: hospital bag) and my mom was resting on the hospital chair-bed. I, however, could not sleep. It was also the middle of the night so I couldn't really text anyone either.

At 3:45 a.m., I had another cervical check. My cervix was soft (good sign!) and I was about 3 centimeters. I started to dilate while on the Cervadil, which doesn't always happen. I was also getting the shakes at this point, which happens with an epidural, so not sure why they were happening to me at this point. I started to feel contractions in my back and my butt and continued to feel like I had to poop.

After my two hours in bed were up, I did in fact go to the bathroom. Of course, I was allowed to eat but was not at all hungry. Figured.

At 4:15 a.m. they started the Penicillin drip for the Group B strep, this is a normal and common thing for a lot of women. They suggest three rounds of this to protect the baby from catching the virus and they give it to you every four hours. It buuuuuurrrrrrrns. Whew! That was uncomfortable. I still had no sleep ... between the contractions and the nurse visits I wasn't getting any shut eye.

I was warned that when I asked for the epidural, it would take about an hour so to not wait until I can't take the pain. I knew it was time to ask for it when the hubs and my mom started talking and I said, "Let's all just stop talking right now."

I am not one for pain. I am grateful for the person who invented this delightful drug. I am in awe by the women who are strong enough to have a natural childbirth, but that was never a consideration for me. At 5:30 a.m., I asked for the epidural and continued to breathe until the anesthesiologist arrived. He came in around 6:15 a.m. and started to get ready. I am not going to lie, I was a bit scared for the epi, but also knew it was more of a pinch/bee sting feeling. Even still, I made sure to not look at the needle!

They did a cervical check when I asked for the epidural and had progressed to 5 centimeters, so they removed the Cervadil. Because I was going so fast, we thought the baby would be there by noon! Ha, not so much.

The nurse walked me through how to sit, how to hold my hands and how to grab onto the hubs' hands if it hurt. The key is to remain still. Yea ... ok! So at 6:25 a.m., I sat up on the bed, started to get into position and felt this pop inside of me and a warm gush down my back. Remember how I was writing about the feeling of needing to poop? Yea, I was pretty sure I just crapped myself.

The hubs was sitting next to me and this is where our marriage vows were tested. I told him what I thought happened:
Me: I think that I just crapped myself. Can you look?
Hubs: What? No. I am not looking.
Me: Please? I think that I just pooped. I am going to lean over and you take a looks.
Hubs: {reluctantly looks around my side} No, you didn't poop. Ok? Gawd.
Me: Then I pee'd myself. Hey everyone, I think that I just pee'd on myself. Or my water broke?
Nurse: {looks where I was sitting} No, you didn't pee your water broke!

So at 6:25 a.m., I had a spontaneous rupture as they like to call it. I call it, "So glad I didn't crap myself. That will come later."

Mr. Anesthesiologist started then to do his thing around 6:30 a.m. after yelling at the nurses. The dosage is based off of your weight. Ahem. And they didn't put my weight on the papers. Well, they did but it was in kilograms I believe. So we had to convert it. Finally, I just shouted it out. One-hundred-twenty. Haha, I am kidding, that is sooo not what it was, I think that I gained 120 pounds. So here we go ... a little pinch and I thought I was done. It felt like nothing, I've placed my insulin pump more painfully than the epidural before. Oh, wait, it's not done? Crap. Pinch, ouch, flinch. I did jump just a little bit, but remained still and had almost immediate relief.

Remember the whole "let's not talk anymore" comment? Well, I was fine and joking again within 15 minutes. It was amazing. With the epi, you get to give yourself additional doses if it starts to wear off! It is placed with a special tube with flags on it so as not to be moved or removed. They drape it over the front of you and give you specific direction to make sure the flags are always in sight. No pressure or anything.

So it is now 7 a.m., I am 5 centimeters, the Cervadil is out and the epidural is in. Life is good ...

Part three ...

No comments:

Post a Comment