Thursday, January 3, 2013

Baby Flobee's Birth Story, Part 1

Well, it's only been close to three months since Baby Flobee was born, so I figured it was time to write down the birth story. If you follow me on Twitter, you know that the baby is here and it was a girl. But here is how she got here.

Our 38-week appointment was October 10, 2012. My midwife said that she would schedule an induction (you can't induce before 39 weeks without medical necessity) for October 17 (39 weeks) and if Flobee arrived before then, all the better. She offered to strip my membranes, but I declined. I was more scared of going into spontaneous labor than being induced.

Before I go any further, I'd like to say this: The story of my birth include decisions that were the best for me and may not be the best for anyone else. Some of the choices I made for labor, delivery and Flobee's first few hours are choices that some may frown upon. Everyone has to do what is best for them, and that is what we did. No judging, please.

Why was I afraid of spontaneous delivery? It would hurt. I knew that I would want an epidural and thought that if I labored at home, maybe it would go too far and I would miss the chance to get one. Both my mom and sister had early and quick deliveries with their first and second babies. I thought maybe the same would happen for me. My sister birthed BOTH children drug free. And I think that she judged me just a little bit when I said I was not going drug free. But at 37 weeks, my baby was already 8 pounds.

I didn't create a birth plan. Why? Well, I knew that as a diabetic, there was a good chance I would end up with a C-section because the baby would be big or my induction would fail. I am very proud of what I accomplished in pregnancy and that I carried Flobee to 39 weeks. I am also glad that we didn't allow me to stay pregnant past 39 weeks because I think that the birth story would be a whole different can of worms if we did.

My last day of being pregnant was October 16. It is kind of weird knowing that you are going to be pregnant that day and in a few hours you have to go to the hospital and you aren't leaving without a baby. Another good thing about induction: they don't send you home when you come in 1 cm dilated.

Before going in, we grabbed something to eat because I didn't know when my next meal would come. Low and behold, you could eat, walk, use the bathroom, etc. until you get an epidural. Then you are stuck to the bed. But, once they give you cervadil, you can't move for two hours.

Waiting to go in for an induction is kind of like taking a red-eye flight. You are all packed, you are excited, showered, dressed and ready, but you sit and wait until almost midnight. I couldn't go in before midnight because I wasn't technically 39 weeks. I couldn't wait anymore and started packing up the car just around 10:30 p.m., said good bye to my pets and my house as I knew it because I wasn't coming home until my belly deflated and a baby was in my arms. 

Our "last supper" included a trip to the Raising Cain's drive-through. Chicken, fries and a Coke Zero for me. We sat in the hospital parking lot until we finished and then grabbed our stuff and headed in.

As far as the "hospital bag," we packed too much stuff. You never knew what state you are going to be in, so better safe than sorry, but it took us two trips up and about six trips out of the hospital. I will save the packing list for another time.

So, we arrive and check in. There were a few families eagerly awaiting arrivals in the waiting room. It was kind of cool to see that anticipation and excitement, since the only people who were waiting were going to be in the room with me: the hubs and my mom.

We check in, give our cord blood banking box to the nurses and get taken to the L&D room. At Centennial Hills, you labor, deliver and recover in the same room. After the epidural wears off you are taken to a post-partum room and that is where you stay until you leave.

We were taken to our room and I was led to a scale. OUCH! My final weight was ... a LOT! Yikes, I had gained about a pound a day since my 38-week appointment. Luckily, it was all fluid. More on that in another post. 

If you know me personally, you know that I like all things makeup, beauty and fashion related. So it would be no surprise that I had my own labor, delivery and recovery gowns. There is something about a used gown that kind of skeeves me out, even though they are washed, etc. When I arrived, a gown and socks were sitting on the bed for me. but I had other plans.

Nurse: Here is your gown and socks.
Me: Well I kind of have my own gown to wear.
Nurse: Is it open in the back? It should be so we can easily perform checks and you can get your epidural.
Me: {pulling out this gown to show them. Hey, I wanted to be cute}. I have this sassy one, and coordinating socks.
Nurse: The socks need to have grips on them or you can't wear them.
Me: Oh, I have socks with grips. I have a pair to match each gown.
Nurse: Well, that gown isn't full open in the back so it won't really work. Here, put ours on.
Me: But wait! There's more. I have two actual hospital gowns with snaps in the back and on the shoulders.
Nurse: {the look on her face was a bit of bewilderment, surprise, delight and disgust}.
Me: I will go change now.
My mom: You're a real piece of work.

So I dressed into my own gown, with coordinating socks with the grips, and hoped into the hospital bed.

Part two to follow ... I just don't want this to be too long and you lose interest. Because labor, delivery and birth stories have you glued to the edge of your seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment